HOT OFF THE PRESS! We would like to announce a great opportunity for young physicians who belong to the American Academy of Emergency Medicine’s Young Physicians Section (AAEM YPS). Based on the early successes of our 2014-15 ALiEM-EMRA (for medical students) and ALiEM-CORD (for residents) fellowships, we are thrilled to be launching the 2015 ALiEM-AAEM Social Media and Digital Scholarship Fellowship for Young Physicians! The application process for this virtual fellowship is now open.
The use of social media in medical education has exploded over the past few years. As we continue to bridge the world of social media and academia in emergency medicine, ALiEM is thrilled to be partnering with AAEM to provide direct mentorship and practical experiences to a young physician member (within 7 years of residency training). This is a great opportunity for anyone who is interested in digital education, medical education, disruptive technologies, and academic leadership.
With over five years of experience now, ALiEM is uniquely positioned to share innovative ideas and projects as exemplified by our recent publications in the literature (e.g., expert peer review in educational blogs, curated summaries of the ALiEM-Annals Global EM Journal Club, growth of EM/CC FOAM sites) and conference abstracts. We have reached a tipping point where we are ready to serve a mentorship role to someone who is interested in joining our creative, collaborative, passionate, and often hypomanic team.
THANKS TO AAEM and the AAEM Young Physician Section (YPS)
We would like to thank AAEM and YPS for their generous sponsorship of this new fellowship. This partnership is a perfect fit between our two organizations because of AAEM’s dedication in mentoring young physicians as exemplified by their AAEM YPS membership.
GOALS OF THE ALIEM-AAEM SOCIAL MEDIA AND DIGITAL SCHOLARSHIP FELLOWSHIP
- To convert the AAEM YPS Rules of the Road for Young Emergency Physicians book into a more dynamic digital product
- To gain an in-depth understanding of the workings of a medical education blog, which includes hands-on experience with WordPress, Google Analytics, Twitter, and Google Hangout
- To be a co-author in at least one of our PubMed peer-reviewed publications
- To role model professionalism on social media platforms
- To participate in digital scholarship
- To collaborate efficiently with an international team using digital technologies
- To apply learned tools by helping AAEM YPS optimize its social media presence
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE FELLOW
- Design and work on converting the AAEM YPS Rules of the Road for Young Emergency Physicians book into a dynamic digital product (e.g., iBook).
- Copyediting of guest posts before submitting to the Editor-in-Chief for revisions (shared responsibility with other fellows)
- Providing guest authors with their official first-week metrics using Google Analytics, such as number of page views, number of cities, and number of countries (shared responsibility with other fellows)
- Take leadership role by moderating at least one Google Hangout on Air recording using our YouTube channel (e.g., ALiEM-Annals Journal Club, the ALiEM Book Club)
- Learn about Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Participate in Twitter on behalf of the ALiEM team
- Participate in periodic virtual meetings by Google Hangout with members of the ALiEM Editorial Board
- Attend the annual ALiEM Editorial Board meeting at the 2015 ACEP Scientific Assembly in Boston
- Serve as a liaison to the AAEM YPS organization, including participation in periodic board meetings
HOW IS THIS FELLOWSHIP DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER 2 ALIEM FELLOWSHIPS?
While all mentored fellowships will have a foundation in learning about the inner workings of the ALiEM blog, participating in key leadership roles, and co-authoring a journal manuscript, this ALiEM-AAEM fellowship will also allow the faculty member to serve as a liaison to AAEM and work on creating a dynamic digital version of the Rules of the Road for Young Emergency Physicians book.
STIPEND AND FINANCES
Although the fellowship is an unpaid, one-year position (no one on the blog team is paid), we will provide up to $1,000 to assist with travel and lodging at the 2015 ACEP Scientific Assembly for the ALiEM board meeting.
- Be a member of the AAEM YPS group (how to join)
- Have an active Twitter account
- Possess strong internet and word-processing skills
- Preferably have previous strong experience with social media (although not required)
- Preferably have some medical writing, copyediting, or journalism experience
The following documents will be screened by the ALiEM-AAEM Fellowship Director and Editor in Chief (Dr. Michelle Lin) as well as the fellowship director for the other two ALiEM fellowships (Dr. Nikita Joshi), with final approval of the candidate by the ALiEM Editorial Team and AAEM YPS executive board.
- Curriculum vitae, which includes contact information including a Gmail email account and Twitter handle
- Letter of intent which includes ideas for a proposed scholarly project
- A document with a sample blog post on any medical topic using any platform or media (limited to 800 words). Or you can just list the URL link to the sample post in this document. This is your chance to be creative!
Upload these 3 documents in the form below.
- Application submission: Jan 2, 2015 at 5 pm EST
- Google Hangout interviews of finalists: Jan 5-9, 2015
- Notification and announcement of fellow: Jan 12, 2015
- Dates of fellowship: Jan 19 – Dec 31, 2015
Tweet Dr. Michelle Lin at @M_Lin