Every year, without exception, a new set of chiefs will be chosen to replace the current group. They are always excited for the position, but hardly prepared for what’s to come. Last year, for the first time ever, over 200 Emergency Medicine Chief Residents were brought together and provided with opportunities to network, receive mentorship, and produce scholarship.
We are incredibly excited about its success and thrilled to launch the 2016-2017 ALiEM Chief Resident Incubator, which is again sponsored generously by an unrestricted educational grant by EBSCO Health/DynaMed Plus. If you are a Chief Resident, here are the top 5 reasons why you should join the Incubator.
Top 5 Reasons To Join
1. ALiEM Chief Resident Incubator Team Expansion
We expanded our team and brought in Dr. Maggie Sheehy, who is a graduating Chief Resident from University of Illinois Chicago taking the lead as Chief Operations Officer. She will be a Global Health Fellow at Massachusetts General, and is ready to infuse words of practicality, caution, and wisdom having just finished a Chief Resident year. In addition, we are bringing back the veterans of virtual collaboration to give you a need-specific experience. We used the feedback and iterations from the inaugural Incubator to make the second Incubator even more impactful.
2. Even More Amazing Mentors
Last year we had 12 faculty members who delivered an all-star mentorship experience on Google Hangout catered toward the Chief Resident experience. This year we have have rallied 24 phenomenal mentors from across the spectrum. They are going to take on the difficult situations you will encounter as chiefs, as well as the information that’s rarely taught in residency. You will get a variety of opinions and practices, all of which are geared to making you a better Chief Resident.
Furthermore, we are bringing back some star Chief Resident alumni to be Core Champions, to help provide you a more customized mentorship experience.
3. Publications and Educational Initiatives
We loved seeing how much the Chief Residents wanted to publish over the course of this year. We are excited to work on even more opportunities for Chief Residents to publish together and produce more educational content. Take a look at a small slice of what we’ve published this year!
- ALiEM AIR-Pro Series
- ALiEM blog posts (number of reads worldwide):
4. Expanded Curriculum
We renovated our curriculum to include more cases pertinent to the struggles of being a Chief Resident. Each month, we will now have two discussions with mentors on relevant topics including conflict resolution with your residents, your co-chiefs, and your administration; professional development as an upcoming junior faculty; and presentation skills.
5. And So Much More!
- This past year we had 2 large mixers at ACEP and SAEM, and 2 smaller mixers at SMACC and CORD. We’d like to continue to have meetups at conferences to help continue fostering the relationship between all of the chiefs.
- We also had 6 Chief Residents give Grand Rounds at NYU, Northwestern, MGH, and University of Illinois Chicago.
- Check out our Annual Report below for all the other awesome stuff that happened during the year! We are hoping to duplicate the amazing experience, opportunities, and creative enthusiasm!
How to Sign Up
Visit the 2016-17 ALiEM Chief Resident Incubator home page to read more, see the list of mentors, and sign up!