Talent Portal: A Listing of Volunteer Jobs on the ALiEM Team
Since 2009, our organization has alway relied on targeted recruiting of budding superstar talent. As of 2020, we are opening our doors to new talent as we continue to innovate and evolve. We have realized that creative growth relies on intentionally planning for unexpected ideas and new perspectives. Do you want to join our private ALiEM Innovation Lab, where our core members form a community of thought-leaders, collaborators, and supporters? Do you have a super-power talent that is underutilized?
- Familiarity, comfort, and responsiveness with Slack, Google Docs, and videoconferencing: We rarely use email or phones. Slack is our primary means of communication and it can get chaotic at times. Familiarity with posting, information overload management, and creative emojis 😈 is a must. We also use Google Docs for shared collaborations and videoconferencing platforms for the very occasional synchronous team meetings.
- Be a team player: Our fun and supportive team culture is part of the secret sauce of what makes the organization work. We aren’t getting rich off of this endeavor, but we DO have the privilege of making a significant impact in the world of health professions education and digital innovations. So we help each other with projects with feedback and/or lending a virtual hand when needed. Read our Culture Book for some examples of what our culture is like.
- Be willing to grow and learn: Our growth minded team is always teaching and learning from each other. It is a meritocracy rather than a traditional hierarchy, whereby the best ideas win.
- Be self-driven: We rely on you to be self-starters and maintain accountability in meeting your self-imposed deadlines.
- Be willing to leave: We fully subscribe to the quote by Richard Branson: “Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough, so they don’t want to.” So every year during our organization-wide July check-in, we assume everyone is leaving the team to pursue better opportunities with their newfound skills and experiences. Staying on the team should *spark joy* and be an active and engaged choice, rather than a default state. With so much potential turnover, we encourage you to keep diligent records of what you did and how you did it for your rising apprentice.
- Maintain the highest degree of professionalism: Once part of the team, your actions and statements reflect our organization. It takes a LIFETIME to build a trusted reputation; it takes only a few SECONDS to destroy it.
These 5 positions will be filled on a rolling basis based on the qualifications of the applicant. The descriptions are purposefully vague to allow your inner self to shine and express itself. Don’t see your talent listed here? Feel free to propose volunteer positions that you think we should have by emailing us at [email protected]!
In the online application, be prepared to answer:
- Why you are applying
- Why you would a good fit for this/these roles (e.g. prior experience)
- How this role might help you in your world-domination career plans
Chief Analytics Officer
Do you love data and data analysis like us? We track various metrics using Google Analytics and analytics from WordPress, Twitter, and Facebook for our various platforms. We dream of centralizing and automating all of our data using Google’s Data Studio platform to detect trends that can drive our development. We also hope to provide our guest authors a report of their metrics, for their educator portfolios. Do you have a solution of us? This position does NOT require background training in medicine. Anticipated time commitment: 10-20 hours per week for the first month and presumably less after that
Instagram Strategist for Pediatric Emergency Medicine Content
Do you have an interest in pediatric emergency medicine education? We are launching a new Instagram account to help physicians, pharmacists, nurses, and paramedics provide more evidence-driven medicine for the pediatric population. You must have experience with Instagram, have a good visual design eye, be responsive to comments, and engage professionally with the public. You can also help us strategize the best approach to deliver timely, engaging educational content using Instagram. This differs from the Twitter Strategist role because the posts will be more stand-alone rather than multiple hyperlinks, have a more behind-the-scenes perspective (e.g., insights from a recent paper’s first author), and have more emphasis on images/videos. Anticipated time commitment: 2-3 posts per week and monitoring for comments.
Updated December 2, 2019