The ALiEM Chief Resident Incubator (“CRincubator”) launches its fifth class today. Every year’s class has a unique personality with wide-reaching projects. But all the chief residents share consistent characteristics – a deep dedication to resident education and wellness, a growth-minded approach to learning, and a desire for ongoing professional development. Are you an incoming chief resident in emergency medicine with a similar outlook, looking for a year-long community of your peers to share ideas with and bounce ideas off of? Want access to CRincubator alumni and respected educators in our field? Sign up early enough to attend our in-person launch event in Seattle on March 31, 2019 at the Council of EM Residency Director’s Academic Assembly.
The CRincubator leadership team features 3 all-star educators:
- Layla Abubshait, MD | Chief Operating Officer
- Tanner Gronowski, DO | Chief People Officer
- Robert Cooney, MD, MSMedEd, RDMS | Chief Strategy Officer
CRincubator Details and Application
Read more at: Chief Resident Incubator 2019-20
1. A more balanced curriculum
With 4 years of feedback from CRincubator members, we have reorganized the curriculum to provide more balanced content. Every year, the chief resident role often (d)evolves into focusing primarily on the administrative, scheduling, and social aspects of the role at the expense of one’s own professional and academic growth development. We have rearranged the discussion questions and shared resources to reflect a more balanced curriculum.
Topics and themes include:
- Understanding the transition into a leadership role and mistakes to avoid
- Better understanding yourself and find what makes us tick
- Keys of effective leadership
- Getting a job, building your CV, and rocking your interview
- How to balance your work life?
- Effective communication skills
- Decision making skills
- Managing change
- Being an effective leader and coaching your followers
- Financial planning for the real world
2. Project for the Year: Top secret
Every year has a theme or project, such as writing the In-Training Examination Prep Book [iBook 1, ALiEMU], Mastermind groups, and monthly Google Hangouts with leaders. This year, we are launching a secret opportunity to be on the cutting edge of the design/build process for a new medical education and professional development product.
3. Online reading materials from medicine, business, and psychology
Part way through last year’s CRincubator, we started releasing more regular reading materials which directly apply to chief residents, who are all budding physician-leaders. Based on positive feedback, we will be formalizing this into a more regular resource.
4. Surprise book giveaways
Who doesn’t like free books? In the past we have given away such books as How to Steal Like an Artist, Slide Design, and White Coat Investor. We can’t wait to share what books we have picked out this year.
5. VIP invite-only networking events at CORD, SAEM/EEM, and ACEP
Set your calendars! Come and meet the CRincubator leadership team, some surprise VIP guests, and the ALiEM team.
- CORD – March 31, 2019 in Seattle (CRincubator launch event)
- SAEM / Essentials of EM – During May 14-17, 2019 in Las Vegas
- ACEP – During October 27-30, 2019 in Denver