In line with the philosophy and awesomeness of FOAM, Dr. Almero Oosthuizen and the EM Physicians at Cape Town South Africa have created the EM Cape Town YouTube Channel for the purposes of demonstrating critical EM procedures. This great series was created with zero budget, limited time, and only with the use of an iPhone for recording purposes. This group is very passionate about teaching, and it shows through the videos.
Watching videos is a great method to augment your readings about EM procedures and to reinforce learning. You can also watch repeatedly and pause the video when you need it. The creators of this video series have already uploaded many videos, particularly addressing the all important airway procedures.
Positive things about the video series
- It’s free and available over the internet
- Reviews indications and contraindications of procedures
- Shows equipment needed
- Reviews anatomy
- Reviews pitfalls
- Effective use of manikins and task trainers
What I would like to see in the future
- Incorporation of text embedded in the video – useful when listing equipment needed
- Use of graphics – helpful when illustrating important anatomy
- A little less background noise
- Organization of the videos listed by categories on the channel
This is a promising start to a useful online free resource for learning how to do EM procedures. It appears the creators may have extended the channel to also include important examinations (such as scaphoid injury). This video series is a little too long to be useful in the clinical arena for just-in-time-training, but is perfect for use at home especially in conjunction with a procedure textbook such as Roberts and Hedges. We look forward to additional videos!
Rating = 3 of 5 stars
- Good for novice learners
- Great use of the internet platform for educational videos
- Perfect to use while studying in conjunction with other reference materials